Payment & Security
The Model Five is known as one of the finest and most sought-after speakers for audiophiles, both new and seasoned. Our updated version of this classic speaker has real wood veneers, cast aluminum baskets, and uses acoustic suspension design principles made famous by founder Henry Kloss.
KLH re-issued the famous Model Five during the spring of 2021. This new three-way loudspeaker features updated cosmetics, as well as all the major advancements in transducer design that have occurred over the last 50 years. But the original acoustic suspension philosophy, cabinet construction, and size all remain intact, thus maintaining the performance and appeal the loudspeaker enjoyed when it was first introduced.
- Iconic Mid-Century Modern Styling
- Acoustic Suspension Design - The most accurate and linear enclosure design available today
- Three-Position Acoustic Balance Control to tailor the loudspeaker's output for the most difficult acoustic environments
- Dedicated midrange driver to reproduce the critical mid-frequency band
- Non-Resonant Die-Cast Aluminum Midrange & Woofer Frames
- Machined Aluminum 1" tweeter faceplate
- KLH cabinetry featuring a structurally reinforced 3/4" MDF Enclosure
- Thirteen Component networks using high-quality iron-core inductors & Mylar capacitors
- Each speaker includes its own 5º slant riser base made of powder-coated 14-gauge steel
- Low-Profile Magnet Attached Grille
- 10-Year Warranty
First introduced in 1954, the acoustic suspension principle has long been regarded as the most accurate of all the loudspeaker designs available. Edgar Villchur and Henry Kloss worked together to bring the original AR-1, and several later models, including the well-known AR-3, to market. Several brands, including KLH, would adopt the acoustic suspension principle and use it in their loudspeakers designs for many years to come. This design principle dominated the speaker market well into the 1970s.
In an acoustic suspension design, the volume of air inside the enclosure serves as a cushion of air, or air spring, to provide a restoring force for the woofer cone. The air inside the enclosure essentially becomes the dominant part of the woofer’s suspension. Since the volume of air inside the enclosure is more linear than the mechanical parts of the woofer’s suspension, this enables the woofer’s diaphragm to move more linearly. This enables the driver to operate at higher excursions with less distortion than more traditional bass-reflex-type systems. Acoustic suspension systems are regarded all over the world for their greater accuracy, tighter bass transients, and exceptional bass resolution and texture.
Dedicated Midrange Driver
The KLH Model Five is a 3-way design featuring a dedicated midrange driver housed in its own internal enclosure. It’s the midrange driver’s responsibility to handle the most significant, middle part, of the audio spectrum. This portion of the audio band contains the vocal and musical instrument fundamentals which are most familiar to the human ear; and where accuracy, or inaccuracies, are most easily detected. In a three-way design, having a dedicated midrange means the driver can be optimized for this specific use since it doesn’t have the additional burden of reproducing lower & higher frequencies in the audio band. This results in truly remarkable clarity of vocals & instruments with less distortion.
- Frequency Response: 42Hz - 20,000Hz +/- 3dB
- Low Frequency Extension: -10dB @ 32Hz
- In-Room Sensitivity: 90.5dB @ 2.83V / 1M
- Free-field Sensitivity: 87.5dB @ 2.83V / 1M
- Power Handling: 200 Watts / 800 Watts Peak
- Recommended Amplification: 200 Watts to 200 Watts
- In-Room Maximum SPL: 112.3dB
- Impedance: 6 Ohms (3.5 ohm minimum @ 140 Hz)
- Horizontal Dispersion: 140°
- Features: Three-Position Acoustic Balance Control
- Crossover Frequency:
- MF: 380Hz (2nd Order Electro-Acoustic)
- HF: 2,850Hz (2nd Order Electro-Acoustic)
- High-Frequency Driver: 1" Aluminum Dome with Soft Rubber Suspension
- Mid-Frequency Driver: 4" Pulp-Paper Cone with Reverse Roll Rubber Suspension
- Low-Frequency Driver: 10" Pulp-Paper Cone with Reverse Roll Rubber Suspension, 2" Diameter Flat-Wire Voice Coil
- Enclosure Material: Structurally Reinforced 3/4" Medium Density Fiberboard
- Inputs: Five-Way Gold-Plated Binding Posts
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- With Riser Base: 13.75" x 34.25" x 13"
- Without Riser Base: 13.75" x 26" x 11.5"
- With Riser Base: 44lbs
- Without Riser Base: 52lbs
- Included Accessories: 5º Slant Riser Base
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.