Payment & Security
- An improved engine, which provides a high level of sonic accuracy.
- Spherical diamond that is perfect for playback of 78 rpm shellac records, which require a larger stylus profile.
- the cartridge body is manufactured from Hopelex, an environment-friendly material which ensures high rigidity while eliminating unwanted resonances.
- 2M 78 uses a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system.
The 2M Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
2M 78 Technical data
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 4 mV
Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-20.000 Hz
Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz + 3 / - 1 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 70 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 18 µm/mN
Stylus type - Spherical
Stylus tip radius - R 65 µm
Tracking force range - 1.6-2.0g (16-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1.8 g (18 mN)
Internal impedance, DC resistance - 700 Ohm
Internal inductance - 350 mH
Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance - 150-300 pF
Tracking angle - 20°
Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Grey
Cartridge weight without screws - 7.2 g
2M PnP MkII cartridge with integrated headshell weight - 20 g
2M PnP MkII cartridge with integrated headshell length - 52 mm
Replacement stylus unit - 2M 78 (interchangeable with 2M Mono)
Stylus lifetime: with proper care we find that up to 1000 hours is possible without degradation of performance. .
2M Series styli interchangeability:
The 2M Series' engines, coils and magnets configurations are not identical: Red and Blue are identical, so are the Bronze and Black and so are the true mono variants 2M Mono and 2M 78. Likewise, 2M series styli are interchangeable within the below combinations:
- 2M Red, 2M Blue and 2M Silver
- 2M Bronze and 2M Black
- 2M Mono and 2M 78
Compatibility with Rega brand TT/TA:
REGA brand cartridges’ height from stylus tip to the top cartridge mounting surface is lower than standard. Therefore you would need spacers to ensure the correct set-up of the Ortofon cartridge. .
Adjusting the height of your Rega tonearm is easy with Acoustic Signature's Spacer Set. It allows you to adjust the height from 0.5 mm to 3.5 mm in precise steps of 0.5 mm - without removing the tone arm. Simply loosen the screws, insert the AS-spacer, then lock the screws back down, and you're tonearm is ready to play.
3.2 - 4 mm spacers should be enough for 2M cartridge.
Review quote 2M 78
Hi-Fi World April 2013
Reviewed by Tony Bolton
"...Well thought out MONO, standard groove version of respected 2M Series of cartridges...
- Detailed sound
- Low surface noise
- Fast and punchy rhythmus
- Excellent tracking at the recommended 1.8 g"
The 2M 78 Verso model is an alternative product for bottom mount headshells
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.